fbsplash (formerly gensplash) is a userspace implementation of a splash screen for Linux systems. It provides a graphical environment during system boot using the Linux framebuffer layer.
fbsplash follows a design policy of being simple, lightweight and fast. To reduce bloat, it uses only a few most important libraries and does not require X11. The code is optimized to have minimal impact on boot-up time.
fbsplash is distro-neutral and can in principle be used on any Linux system which supports the framebuffer, but integration of fbsplash with the initscript system requires writing customized code for different Linux distributions. A reference implementation for Gentoo's baselayout-2 is provided on this site.
- 12 Jun 2011: splashutils-188.8.131.52 and splashutils-gentoo-1.0.17 released.
- 13 Nov 2008: splashutils-184.108.40.206 and splashutils-gentoo-1.0.16 released.
- 22 Jul 2008: splashutils-220.127.116.11 and splashutils-gentoo-1.0.15 released.
- 20 Apr 2008: splashutils-18.104.22.168 and splashutils-gentoo-1.0.14 released.
- 01 Mar 2008: splashutils-gentoo-1.0.13 released.
- 25 Feb 2008: splashutils-1.5.4 and splashutils-gentoo-1.0.12 released.
- 27 Jan 2008: splashutils-22.214.171.124 released.
- 13 Jan 2008: We now have an IRC channel. Join us on #fbsplash on irc.freenode.net!
- 06 Jan 2008: splashutils-126.96.36.199 and splashutils-gentoo-1.0.11 released.
- 28 Dec 2007: The fbsplash Theme Repository becomes available.